LFCSTATS.CO.UK - A Independent Liverpool FC Website

Match Statisitcs Match Report Match Gallery Head to Head

The Emirates FA Cup 3rd Round Replay , Home Park, Plymouth
Plymouth Argyle Wed 1 8th Jan - 19:45pm Liverpool


Half Time 0:1

Match Report

A rare goal from Lucas Leiva proved enough for Liverpool to claim a 1-0 victory in their FA Cup third-round replay with Plymouth Argyle tonight.

Lucas, who captained the Reds at Home Park, climbed superbly to power home a header from an 18th-minute corner by Philippe Coutinho - making his first start since November - and book a fourth-round meeting with Wolverhampton Wanderers at Anfield.

The Brazilian’s last goal came back in September 2010, when he netted against Steaua Bucharest.

Divock Origi saw a late penalty saved after Plymouth had hit the woodwork, but Liverpool did enough to ensure they would not fall victim to a cup giant-killing.

The key points...

Lucas’ header put Liverpool ahead after a strong start from the visitors.

Trent Alexander-Arnold intervened to deny Plymouth an equaliser shortly before half-time.

Harry Wilson made his first-team debut as a second-half substitute for Coutinho.

Origi missed a late penalty after Plymouth had hit the post.

The team news...

Jürgen Klopp made nine changes to his team from Sunday’s game against Manchester United, with only Alexander-Arnold and Origi retaining their places from Old Trafford.

Coutinho, Daniel Sturridge and Joe Gomez were among the players brought into the Reds’ starting line-up, while there was a place on the bench for Wilson.

The first half...

Liverpool took charge after weathering some early pressure from the hosts, with Sturridge and Coutinho both having harmless attempts on goal before Lucas made the breakthrough.

The Reds’ skipper made a darting near-post run and nodded Coutinho’s corner past Plymouth goalkeeper Luke McCormick for his first goal in more than six years.

Argyle responded well to going behind and Loris Karius had to be alert to palm away Graham Carey’s long-range shot soon after Lucas’ opener.

A crucial last-ditch interception from Alexander-Arnold then denied Paul Garita the opportunity to tap home, but Liverpool regained a measure of control before the break and Argyle’s Oscar Threlkeld had to clear a searching cross from the Reds’ right-back that was bound for Sturridge at the far post.

The second half...

Origi tested McCormick from distance on the hour mark, before Klopp handed Wilson his senior bow in place of Coutinho.

The 19-year-old almost immediately marked the occasion with a goal, too, as he charged down a McCormick clearance only for the ball to loop over the bar.

A sharp one-two between Sturridge and Origi ended with the former drilling a low shot that the Pilgrims ’keeper was equal to with 19 minutes remaining, as Liverpool went in search of a second goal.

The Reds survived a huge scare when Jake Jervis’ acrobatic effort struck the outside of the post, and Origi spurned a golden opportunity to seal the tie five minutes from time, when he saw his penalty saved after Alberto Moreno had been fouled in the area.

However, that made no difference to the final outcome as Klopp’s team advanced to a fourth-round tie with Wolves.